So, I embarked on my tile, string first. A little wobbly, but not so bad.
I found that I was holding my non-dom (for me, the left) hand still and moving the tile a lot more (lesson one: move the tile!)
I had to move slowly and deliberately, guiding the pen through each stroke (lesson two: duh!)
I made Crescent Moon first, as that's the pattern I generally teach first but decided to take a "risk" and include Betweed, which requires concentration (for me) and Trentwith, a tangle of my own, just to develop some more mastery over it (lesson three: don't be scared!)
I found that shading was the hardest part, as I couldn't quite get the pencil to "behave itself" (lesson four: let the tangle happen!)
Now, here's the REAL story. What the string can't show and the tile doesn't show is the amount of effort, concentration, and work (in a way) this tile was. What DOES show that is the following photo, of the nib of a brand new pen. Not so new, now.